This programme is geared towards producing innovative, creative and flexible nurses who will cope with the dynamic changes of the profession, technology and socio-economic needs. It is, therefore, expected that the graduates from this level will have aspirations to pursue higher qualifications in nursing profession. The programme adopts a modular system and will operate under semester structure. This will facilitate a large degree of flexibility for recognition of learning experiences and professional practice for the graduates’ future development.
The programme aims to achieve the following goals:
- To form a flexible course that is responsive to dynamic and rapidly changing world of work and the society;
- To provide nursing skills, knowledge and behaviours that is vital to learners, employers and the community;
- To entice self-realisation and team work skills that enable graduates to perform efficiently and aspire for higher level training;
- To build capacity to participate in the implementation of National Health Policy and its accompanying Operational Guidelines; and
- To propagate and promote moral, legal and ethical conduct among nurses and other health workers within the nursing profession and national legal framework.
The main objectives of this programme are to:
- Form a carrier ladder in nursing profession practice, career advancement and more advanced a primary role for nursing management in health care service delivery;
- Impart appropriate basic knowledge, skills and attitudes relevant to nursing practice in relation to reproductive, preventive and curative health care services in the community;
- Steer creativity and innovativeness in response to challenges inherent in nursing practice and health care delivery;
- Inculcate a culture of teamwork and build critical thinking and problem solving skills in nursing and health care practice;
- Promote a good sense of citizenship, accountability and responsibility to graduates;
- Stimulate life-long learning behaviour for nurses and advancement of nursing profession;
- Provide an international outlook of the learning content and context so as to widen learners’ advantages into regional and international labour markets.